Everybody, working moms like us included, would love to see their career flourish. But this dream can become difficult to realize when a hitchhiker is allowed to have their way in that career journey.
Just in case you didn’t know who or what a hitchhiker is. Here is how the Cambridge Dictionary defines the term, “hitchhiker”.
Hitchhikers in the real world are one amazing type of travellers. So I don’t have anything against them.
But in a metaphorical sense, anyone who lives by seizing the slightest opportunity to get into another person’s life or plans can be a source of trouble.
Such an individual is the opportunist who may end up creating difficulties for others willing to pay the price in order to achieve success in their endeavours.
Do you really want to see your career flourish without encountering avoidable roadblocks? Then you need to know and avoid persons that can cause you to get much less than you are capable of getting.
So who qualifies to be regarded as a hitchhiker on your career or your entire life’s highway?
A hitchhiker in your life is that individual who
- enters into some form of relationship with you with the sole motive of milking you dry
- comes in to only make you lose focus, direction and productive time
- lives by taking advantage of your kindness
- depends on you for much of their needs but are not prepared to reciprocate
- seizes every opportunity to reap where they have not sown
Here are the reasons you should not allow such a person to come near you or your business. That is if you want to see your life or your career flourish.
1. They hardly have a well-defined destination.
Remember the saying, if you do not know where you’re going any road will take you there?
For any parasitic individual in your life, it’s like any road goes. They have no specific direction for their life.
What this means is that if you allow them to have too much leeway in yours, they will steer you off course. And that is tantamount to becoming one of them.
Before you know it, you may end up leading a directionless life.
2. They cannot be trusted to contribute towards paying the price.
That hitchhiker in your life is focused on one goal only: to enjoy as much as possible at your expense. For that matter, they are never in the mood of pausing to consider how they too can make a contribution to bringing in the goodies.
This is the more reason you will have to give them a wide berth. If not, they will run down your finances, ruin your life and then move on to their next victim.
3. Hitchhikers usually appear harmless.
But that is only meant to fool you. They can turn out to be extremely dangerous.
I’ve known people who ended up losing everything to scheming hitchhikers.
Others have had their once wonderful lives, businesses and relationships destroyed by that one person to whom they gave a helping hand.
Here are a few examples of people who have ruined the lives of their benefactors.
- a seemingly helpless friend you decided to accept in your home only to end up losing your spouse or lover to them.
- a penniless former schoolmate to whom you gave a place in your business only for them to pay you back by planning your downfall
- a miserable-looking stranger you assisted to obtain a loan who absconded and left you to face the music all by yourself
- an innocent looking lover who later turns into something extremely shocking
And the list goes on and on.
That is why you need to be careful about accepting to help the next hitchhiker who asks for your favours.
4. Most hitchhikers travel light.
So they’re capable of jumping boat anytime.
Does the below scenario sound familiar?
A stranger suddenly appears from nowhere and professes to be a distant relative or a relative of one of your friends or workmates. Somehow they manage to provide limited but convincing evidence to back their claim.
Upon winning your confidence, they go ahead to burgle your home and run away without leaving any trace behind.
I’ve had more than one such drama in my life. This is what makes me wary of all hitchhikers who come knocking at my door.
Take a cue from that.
Wrapping it up
It is not like you should stop considering helping others. For example, total strangers who appear to be in desperate need of your assistance may be genuinely in need.
My aim here is to alert you to be on your guard so you can know the jerks and opportunists for whom they truly are. This is one sure way to truly make your life and career flourish the way you want it.
Have you ever had a nasty experience with the type of person I have described in this post? How was it like? Please let me know in a comment below.